Monsters Report December 2015.
We have come a very long way in this last year since moving to Graves Leisure Centre. Thank you to the pool staff and the management at Graves who are excellent, very cooperative and supportive which helps the ambience of the sessions.
We now have 50 children in our Sunday session ranging from 4 years old to 12 years old and are now becoming self-funding. The sessions are differentiated into 6 different squads Mini Monsters 1,2 & 3, Little Monsters, Monsters and Academy. We also run an academy plus session as a bolt on at Eckington pool on a Friday evening. The children love the sessions and we receive constant positive feedback from parents. We need a large body of staff and helpers as we have such young players and (we also work in the deep water where a higher ratio of support is required). These young coaches and helpers provide a safe environment, demonstrate good techniques and reinforce the teaching points of the lead coach of each squad. Not all coaches are available each week so we put a rota together around their own water polo events and other commitments.
Success stories over the last year are countless.
- We started off 2015 with our Monsters Competition at Eckington 10th January where we ran a massive shallow end competition with 8 teams alongside a deep end competition with 6 teams . We cane second in this competition. We planned to make this an annual event but have not secured a date yet this year as we have so many other competitions going on.
- We have entered a Monsters team in a league at Eckington last season where we came 5th overall in a tight competition alongside 10 other teams.
- Chris and Claudine Motley took the Academy to many competitions and friendly games to prepare them for junior entry into the club.
- We have delivered our mini polo programme to Hathersage Swimming Club on 3 consecutive Wednesdays, The Scouts Annual Swimming Event at Graves, Longstone School, Taddington School, and Grave s Swim Squad.
- Our players enjoyed an opportunity to support the men’s team as ball girls & boys and mascots in the line ups at the National Championships
All of these events providing new players with exposure to our wonderful sport and resulting in signing up more than a dozen new players since September.
- We also trialled 14 players from Monsters academy for our Junior squad. All these players reached a standard high enough to gain selection. The retention of these players has been high; only two players have dropped out since moving up.
- 5 of our Monsters have now gone on to represent the County showing what a high standard we can achieve in such a short amount of time with excellent coaching and support.
- Our Academy is now full again with players soon to be sent to trial at the club once again, showing the pathway is indeed working.
Many thanks to all the coaches and helpers who do a phenomenal job following the lesson plans I send to them. The coaches are encouraged to be inventive within the plans and always surprise me with their imaginative games, which inspire and encourage the players to improve. Thanks to our regular coaches Jess Swallow, Katie Tomlinson, Megan Motley, Tash Jones, Clay Collins, Chris Motley, Nick Gaywood,, James Newsome (Alex Gaywood & Joel Leighton who cover when we are short), and also to Peter Deutch , Sarah Poyntz & Tannith Wilkinson who were highly committed until they left for University. Thanks to our helpers who we hope to put through their coaching awards in the near future Esther Mead, Devrim Sacmacioglu, Will Mardlin, Connor Charles, Anna Motley, Ragan & Alice Daff. And last but not least thanks to Squad Managers Claudine Motley & Rachel Mead who deal with collecting the money, communicating with parents, sorting registers, trouble shooting and many many other odd jobs!
Sunday 23rd November
Monsters Academy hosted their first home game at Graves pool against Rotherham. This was a friendly game with lots of learning opportunities and masses of feedback from Coach Chris Motley.
Sheffield pipped Rotherham to the post by only 2 goals but a very proud team left the pool smiling and content. We played all 19 players in the game to give everyone experience.
Monsters’ Christmas Party Saturday 6th December, 5:15-8:30,Eckington pool followed by fun activities at The Messy Church. Tickets on sale from Claudine motley on a Sunday at Graves.
As part of it’s “Beacon” status the club is aiming to develop both the senior and junior sections further, help other clubs in the region to expand and to mirror our continental counter parts and make sure that there is a clear pathway for talented youngsters from four years old upwards. This last ambition has seen the introduction of a Mini Monsters water polo project based around the south Sheffield region. Since 2014 over 200 children in the 4-11 age range have already attended holiday taster sessions at Graves Leisure Centre, King Edwards pool, Seven Hills, Sheffiled University, hathersage swimming pool, Bakewell swimming pool and Mylnhurst. The Monsters now run regular sessions and boast a pathway of 6 different squads Mini Monsters 1,2,3,Little Monsters , Monsters and Academy. Many of our players have now been selected to move up to the Junior section of the club and have represented North East Counties.
A key part of the project has been the development of young coaches from within the club. Six young players have completed coaching awards and are now working with senior coaches. We have a growing number of young helpers who are serving an “ apprenticeship” under the guidance of the main coaches before going on to taking coaching awards in the future. This is a valuable experience for both coaches and the Monsters allowing players to get lots of feedback and coaches to gain confidence and knowledge in a supportive environment.
Anyone interested in getting their children involved in Mini Monsters Polo should contact Club Development Officer Pippa Jones on firstname.lastname@example.org or 07853317306.
Current mini-polo sessions:
Mini Monsters aged 4 to 8 years: Sunday 4-4.45 Graves Leisure Centre Sheffield.
Monsters aged 6+: Sunday 4-4.45 pm Graves Leisure Centre Sheffield.
Polo Academy: Sunday 4.45- 5.30 pm Graves Leisure Centre Sheffield (by trial only).
Academy+ bolt on sessions: Friday 6-7 pm Fridays Eckington pool